Dr. Chuck Carlise, Visiting Assistant Professor of English

2 comments
27 Jul 2018

Education:  Holds a doctorate in literature and creative writing from the University of Houston

Describe Your Classes:  Classes are highly interactive and flexible. That is, people should be ready for a lot of discussion, experimentation, risk-taking, and otherwise open-ended interrogation (of texts, or their own and their classmates’ writing, of their responses to things).

Goals at Westminster:  I’m most interested in fostering community—that is, encouraging students to keep arguing, exploring, and generally plumbing the texts from classes when they’re out there on their own. If I have a goal, it would be to help inspire a community in which there is more intellectual discussion, more collaboration among artists, more risk taking and incisive questioning, and more student-driven energy in this field than when I came.

How You Found Your Purpose:  I found my purpose by listening to my obsessions, and by having enough audacity to pack up my life and follow them more than once. I’ve made a couple of sea-change moves over the years, professionally and personally. They were each the “right move” because I was deeply invested in listening to the rhythm of my own heartbeat (and in understanding why it beat this way).

Favorite Quote:  “I didn’t strive for success; I strived to do something artistically important.”

Favorite Book:  The Unbearable Lightness of Being, On the Road, and It Is If I Speak

Categories:

2 thoughts on “Dr. Chuck Carlise, Visiting Assistant Professor of English”

1. Michelle Craighead says:

Welcome to WC!

2. The Unbearable Lightness of Being is in my top 5 favorite books. I was introduced to it through a Philosophy in Literature class taught by Dr. Rich Geenen. Welcome to WC! It’s always a great day to be a Blue Jay!